Menu Close

2022 Minutes

January 13, 2022 – General Meeting

Members Present: See Introductions

Meeting called to order at 6:00 P.M by Aleesha.

Agenda Items

  • Introductions – Taking a rainbow of colors, what would be your choice, looking at your stash of fabrics, for improv next month?
    1. Terry – blue
    2. Jill – green
    3. Nancy – green
    4. Peggy – green
    5. Michelle – green
    6. Lesley – blue
    7. Lindsey – blue
    8. Kathy – purple
    9. Aleesha – blue
    10. Tamara – blue
    11. Waiting for other members to arrive. Blue is the current winner.
  • New PO Box address: Central Washington Modern Quilt Guild; PO Box 3299; Wenatchee, WA 98807
  • Announcement: Dues are due in February. Dues are $50. Our guild owes $180 total to the MQG because of the size of our group. Cathy still needs to be added to the MQG site. Peggy will add her.
  • Discussion: Should we wear nametags to sew-ins on Saturdays? Many folks still need to finish theirs. Good reminder to finish that project.
  • March meeting will be the Spring Fling postcard swap. Jill will run the swap. 
  • Tamara discussing next month’s program (February). Improv intro. We’re going with blue… light blue to navy to teal and aqua… all values and ranges. Accent color orange and some white. On the next Saturday sew-in in February, we’ll do some improv sewing and pass things around to work on. At the end, there will be a drawing of all participants, and the winner gets all the improv blocks to make a quilt with.
  • Discussion: What is our overall vision for our group – more of a community… doing stuff together. Maybe one program a quarter to show something helpful through the MQG website. Or any topics in modern quilting that you want to do. Contact anyone on the board with any ideas for programs this year.
  • Hawaii challenge with Lesley
    1. Lesley shared pictures of tropical quilts made in the past. Advice: Let your creative juices go!
    2. If you didn’t sign up, you can still participate! Find something with a floral/botanical feel in your stash and then join in the challenge.
    3. Challenge guidelines: Use a recognizable amount of the fabric. No size limits for your project. Great chance to try a new technique. Don’t feel pressure to make a masterpiece.
    4. Reveal your project at April meeting.
    5. Each member opened their packages and shared their fabric for the challenge.
  • Show and Tell

Next board meeting is Thursday, January 20th at 6pm. Agenda will be budget for guild. Meetings are open to anyone who would like to attend. Next general meeting is Thursday, February 10th at 6pm. Check the website calendar for upcoming sewing events.

Thu 1/20/2022 BOD Meeting

Members Present: Aleesha, Tamara, Lesley, Michelle

Agenda Items

  • New PO box – amount we’re spending on it approx. $100. Should we make a budget for the group and submit it? Then present it to the larger group? Yes let’s do that. Next board meeting, Tamara will do a preliminary budget for us. Budget items: website, PO box, fabric for challenge, MQG dues, checks, events, zoom, etc. (currently $1600 in our account)
  • Membership update (Peggy not here tonight). If you need badges, stickers, business cards, etc. She will be the contact for those now. She will update us next board meeting.
  • Community Quilt (see notes above). Aleesha checking with Thea to see if it got done. Aleesha has photos of the top that she’ll show at February’s meeting.
  • Tamara’s in charge of February’s meeting. Improv. Tamara will send Aleesha photos for her presentation.
  • March is planned for Spring Fling swap (fabric postcards with Jill). Bingo game idea or scavenger hunt idea (can you find an item in your sewing room, whoever finds the most things on the list in 5 minutes, wins a prize) (via zoom). Okay buying prizes for the group $25 budget but not tell them the game. Agenda item for next meeting. Board will brainstorm things for bingo card or scavenger hunt idea. Lesley buying some bingo cards. Tamara is seeing if she has the caller set.
  • April meeting is the end of the Hawaii fabric challenge. Lesley will host the program with the reveal of each project. Lesley might also talk about a guild block of the month quilt (one member would design a block every other month to present to the group).
  • October meeting will be Thea teaching curved improv.
  • Ask members what they’d like to learn and see in a program (February meeting intro question) 
  • Michelle will put together a couple of design ideas for curved EPP program to present to board next month
  • Virtual sew ins. Can we get those back on track? Does it make more sense to do it on Thursday nights instead? Monday night instead? Maybe a survey? Consistency will be the key to making these happen.
  • Aleesha will check how far along we are in our non-profit status so we can get emails set up for the website.
  • Next BOD meeting is Thursday, February 17th at 6pm.

February 10, 2022 – General Meeting

Members Present: See Introductions

Meeting called to order at 6:07 P.M by Aleesha.

  • Introductions – Question of the month – What is your favorite animal? Have you made a quilt with it?
    1. Jill – not an animal lover
    2. Cassie – giraffe. Has tons of giraffe fabric
    3. Michelle – penguin. No penguin projects
    4. Terry – alpaca. no alpaca projects, but has wool
    5. Aleesha – sloth. small wall hanging and sloth fabric
    6. Tamara – deer. birthday card with deer fabric and pillow
    7. Thea – blue heron
    8. Sharon – cocker spaniel. No dog quilts
    9. Nancy – cat. Cat on quilt block looking at the moon.
    10. Cathy – octopus, horses, standard poodle. no quilt with those animals
    11. Shelli – cat. Has made a dog quilt

Prize for wearing our nametag. Tula Pink unicorn

Agenda Items

  1. Community Challenge Quilt. Shared pictures of completed quilt with the group. It looks amazing!! Feedback from Thea: these challenge quilts are coming together at Christmas time. Not great for long armers. Going forward, we should start brainstorming and have details ready in March/April. March meeting we should present the colors and theme to the group.
  2. Spring Fling. This will be our March program. Be in your sewing room for games. Jill running postcard swap. She will email everyone details. You can start making your postcards now. 3 postcards.
  3. Future programs: Hawaii fabric challenge finishes up in April. May will be a new challenge (TBD). October will be improv curves with Thea.

Tonights program: Improv with Tamara

February 19th (next sew in) – improv sewing with blue scraps

Show and Tell

Prize drawing. Winner is Terry!

Thu 2/22/2022 BOD Meeting

Members Present: Aleesha, Tamara, Lesley, Michelle, and Peggy

Agenda Items

  • Budget with Tamara – Current in bank $1923. 14 members have paid. 3 new and dropped 2. Are we updating shared roster? Google doc. Peggy will mail out roster at end of the month. Tamara will present budget to members for approval. Okay with running deficit for a year.
  • Membership update with Peggy. Peggy has everything from Jill now.
  • Aleesha will update guild shared folder and make sure we all have access.
  • Tamara – Outdoor show. Aleesha will ask Lindsey if we secured a date
  • Peggy – May program idea is a MQG site tour and make a block you picked from the site. Each board member can present something they like on the site and one block they want to make. Challenge blocks will be presented in September.
  • Michelle – EPP curves presentation in July. EPP flower blocks. Michelle will cut and mail papers to each person.
  • Lesley will email us with more program ideas for the rest of the year.

March 10, 2022 – General Meeting

Members Present: See Introductions

Meeting called to order at 6:00 P.M by Aleesha.

Agenda Items

  • Introductions – Question of the month. What program would you like in May?
  1. Nancy – in person class. Nancy is willing to teach
  2. Peggy – idea with Tamara. Going to let her share
  3. Tamara – how to take a traditional block and make it modern
  4. Cathy – wants Nancy to come up with something to teach us
  5. Lesley – report on the status of our rotary club quilt for their auction. Loved the saturday sew in improv challenge
  6. Sharon – what is modern quilting
  7. Terry – redo a previous challenge
  8. Thea – scrap fabric management. Find pattern that uses scraps. At saturday sew in, work on the project
  9. Annie – Least favorite color auction. 
  10. Cassie – curves
  11. Jill – More questions / explorations on Annie’s color auction idea. Upcycling/recycling ideas. EPP curves. Making something inspired by a picture/building and making something modern with it.
  12. Julie – love Thea and Annie’s ideas

Aleesha – welcome

Budget presentation by Tamara – group voted yes to approve budget

Lesley – next month is the Hawaii challenge 

Jill – postcard quilt show and tell

Scavenger hunt items:

  • Pin cushion (bonus for red tomato)
  • Needle threader
  • Needle case/book
  • New package of machine needles
  • Thimble
  • Spray starch
  • New rotary blades
  • Wonder clips
  • Color wheel
  • 1 yard of printed fabric (bonus if blue)

Notes:

Jill – someone should step up and be the monthly program coordinator

Everyone email Aleesha your least favorite color to work with

Thu 3/17/2022 BOD Meeting

Members Present: Aleesha, Tamara, Michelle, and Peggy

Peggy moving her program to September

Make Spring Fling an annual event. 

Agenda Items

Program list

(also will be on Events and Happenings on the website)

  • April – parade of finishes from hawaii challenge
  • May – curved EPP (moved scrap management group program to July)
  • June – Show and tell of outdoor quilt show quilts
  • July – scrap management group program (moved curved EPP to May)
  • August – open (tbd color wheel/least favorite color challenge) 
  • September – MQG site with peggy
  • October – improv piecing with curves
  • November – traditional block made modern board presentation
  • December – end of year celebration. Christmas swap? Mug rugs? Christmas cards?

Program idea discussion:

Color wheel (can Lesley present her color wheel expertise? Aleesha will ask. Tamara as backup) and least favorite color challenge. Spinner gives you options: monochromatic; complementary, etc. Live fabric pull from sewing room.

Traditional block made modern. Board presentation. Each of us pick a traditional block and make it modern in our own way. Next board meeting we’ll discuss which blocks we are selecting.

Scrap management. How do you best manage your scraps?. How do the experts manage them? What are your favorite scrap patterns? Share your favorite scrap project/block.

Upcycle clothing presentation

Mini quilt show – extended show and tell

Outdoor quilt show – haven’t set a date yet. Lindsey is working on it

Kathy in person ice dye class (august?)

Jill/Thea retreat update for April meeting?

Tamara

16 official members now. MQG payment due. Aleesha will forward Tamara the invoice.

Peggy

Website is updated. Peggy will email out roster to everyone in group.

Newsletter for April:

  • Date of quilt show
  • Upcoming programs
  • Challenge quilt details
  • Links to minutes/reminders of where to find stuff on website
  • Retreat date
  • Scrap management questions for May meeting

Program chair position – do we need to start asking people? Just need to monitor and make sure things are on track. Program calendar for the year is pretty set.

April 14, 2022 – General Meeting

Members Present: See Introductions

Meeting called to order at 6:00 P.M by Aleesha.

Introductions

  • Question of the month. For the rest of your life, if you could only use print fabric or solid fabric, what would you go for?
  1. Aleesha – prints
  2. Nancy – prints. Especially ones that read as solids
  3. Tamara – has large print fabric collection, so would be cool to add solids
  4. Lesley – prints, despite a large Kona subscription
  5. Cathy – loves solids but also loves batiks, so prints
  6. Kathy – n/a
  7. Terry – grunge is a print, so prints
  8. Cassie – prints 100%
  9. Michelle – solids all the way
  10. Jill – prints, no question
  11. Thea – prints, but is going against the grain and choosing solids
  12. Cindy – prints
  13. Lindsey – prints that read as solids
  14. Sharon – prints. Sharon hates solids
  15. Peggy – n/a

Line the Loop Outdoor Quilt Show information

June 11, 2022. 10am-1pm. Pybus to 9th Street (Linden Park)

Day of checklist:

  • Quilts
  • Weights
  • Plastic/sheets
  • Clothespins (if hanging anything)
  • Seating
  • Snacks
  • Water
  • Shade
  • Sunscreen
  • Bike (if you want a quick way to see all the quilts)

Jill will check business card supply and order more if needed.

Publicity needs for quilt show:

  • (preshow) Flyer – Thea
  • (preshow) NCW guild newsletter/email
  • (preshow) Newspaper / other media
  • (preshow) Post flyers including at quilt shops
  • (show day) Business cards / handouts
  • (show day) Quilt show sandwich boards

Agenda Items

Tamara- Treasurer report – budget status

Thea – Community outreach quilt back from QuiltCon. What are the next steps for it? Raffle to benefit our own non-profit guild? Donate to Land Trust? Somewhere else? Lesley will inquire about donation to land trust.

Lesley – Hawaii challenge quilt round up. (editor’s note: They were all amazing!!)

Michelle – Next month’s preview EPP curves. Members will be receiving supply list and paper pieces in the mail

June meeting – virtual quilt show of everything we’re showing at the outdoor quilt show

Show and Tell

Round robin quilt – Thea and Aleesha will share each month

Thu 4/21/2022 BOD Meeting

Board members present: Aleesha, Tamara, Lesley, Michelle, and Peggy

Future Programs:

  • Lesley – Color challenge. Submit your least favorite color to Leslie if you want to participate (email will go out in June to see how wants to participate). Ask if anyone else has a 24 color wheel. 
  • Move Peggy’s program to December. 
  • September is now empty. Maybe the upcycling topic? Something else? Lesley will ask Geraldine to present on something. Tamara could come over for an in person meeting to show us how to do kawandi quilting at some point as well.

Traditional to modern program (November program). Aleesha will announce at May meeting. Will see if anyone else wants to join the challenge

  • Michelle – grandmother’s flower garden EPP
  • Aleesha – churn dash, friendship star, and 8 pointed star
  • Lesley – TBD. maybe mill wheel?
  • Tamara – Bear Paw
  • Peggy – Drunkard’s Path
  • Thea – sun bonnet sue
  • Terri – 9 patch

Tamara – Treasurer Report

MQG Membership

1671.60 checking account balance

Non-profit status – we are considered an affiliate member through a group exemption. We don’t need to file a separate form with the irs. We go under the MQG umbrella. But we have to file taxes though. We have 2 years worth of tax returns to do, but can’t doing anything until MQG files in May. Tamara will keep on top of that. Also checking if we need to file with the WA secretary of state.

Other items

Add to newsletter: MQG challenge Oceana

Lesley – land trust wants our quilt to auction off at their November 4th event.

Michelle will take glamour shots of quilt. Talk to Thea about getting the quilt.

May 12, 2022 – General Meeting

Meeting called to order at 6:00 P.M by Aleesha.

Introductions

MQG Community Quilt. Thea presented the color palettes as well as design ideas to get the ball rolling. As a group, we voted to move forward with the “cool” tones palette. The design hasn’t been finalized, but if you want to be a part of the design group or have an idea, contact Thea. The overall consensus of the group was that we liked something with a darker background, perhaps using improv, so we could all put our individual stamp on the quilt

Guild Retreat. Jill presented several date options as well as two location options. She asked for members to text her with their preferences. The results have come back and the retreat will be Sept 8-11 in Manson at the Timberline View Lodge. Cost is $55 per night (3 nights total). A $55 deposit is due to Jill by the end of June if you’d like to attend.

At the June 18th Sew-In, Tamara will present on Kwandi sewing/quilting techniques.

Michelle presented on sewing EPP curves using her Petal Power block. All members were mailed pieces, but let Michelle know if you didn’t receive them. We will be showing our finished blocks at the July meeting show and tell.

Show and Tell.

Thu 5/17/2022 BOD Meeting

Meeting was canceled.

June 9, 2022 – General Meeting

Meeting called to order at 6:00 P.M by Aleesha.

Members present:  Aleesha, Terry, Tamara, Lindsey, Kathy P, Jill, Cassie, Lesley, Cathy S, Sharon, Nancy & Thea.  Guest:  Pam Luther

Introductions

INTRODUCTIONS

Members and a guest introduced themselves and each shared the tiniest of tips in regards to quilting.

AGENDA

Retreat – Dates are September 8 to 11th at Timberlane View Lodge in Manson WA.  So far 13 people have expressed an interest.  A deposit of $55 is due by June 30th and should be mailed to the guild’s PO box.  The total cost for the three nights is $165.

Outdoor Quilt Show – Our third annual show is this upcoming Saturday, June 11th from 10 am to 1pm.  Members will display their quilts on the grass of the park along the Loop Trail between Pybus Market and 9th Street Linden Tree entrances.

MQG Community Outreach Quilt – We finalized our design plan to be Diamond Improv blocks inspired by Rayna Gillman’s book cover.  Thea will purchase 4 yards of Kona black for the background and members are encouraged to use their scraps for the string piecing from the blue green to yellow green colorway provided by the MQG.  Pieced components are due by July 29th and the quilt top will be completed at the August sew-in.  Thea has selected Behr paint chip colors to assist members in choosing fabrics from their stash.  Aleesha will email those color names out to members along with a spreadsheet for sign up for blocks.

Kwandi Saturday – Tamara will teach members how to create a hand stitched kwandi at the sew-in on June 18th.  She will email supplies to bring.

Future Programs – Upcoming program in July is Scrappy Happy by Aleesha who will do a deep dive into storing and using your scraps in quilts.  Lesley will present Color Play in August.  She has requested you email her your name, address and least favorite color to use in your quilts.  She is giving everyone a color wheel with 24 colors by Joen Wolfrom.  We will be doing a challenge in August using someone else’s least favorite color to show how that color can be used effectively in a piece.  You will not have to use your least favorite color!

PROGRAM

Our program was a slide show of quilts that will be displayed along the Loop Trail on Saturday with members talking about their quilt inspiration and stories.

SHOW AND TELL

Thu 6/16/2022 BOD Meeting

Board members present: Aleesha, Tamara, Lesley, Michelle, and Peggy

Agenda Items:

Michelle – review of quilt show – next year schedule date earlier so it doesn’t conflict with big guild fabric sale. Reach out to big guild sooner as well. Have everyone in one location instead of all spread out. 

QuiltCon Community Challenge – is it okay to use the black fabric as our background? Instructions from MQG say not to add a neutral color at all. Aleesha has messaged Thea. Aleesha will message the MQG about this.

Lesley’s program (August 11) – not ready yet but has been creating a plan. Getting color wheels for everyone. Example color schemes. 10 minute stash / fabric pull challenge. People still need to send Lesley their least favorite color. Challenge: least favorite color challenge. You will get assigned someone else’s least favorite color to work with. Make a project (Due in November). Lesley will send out reminder about least favorite color. 

Peggy will send out revised roster any time there are new members added.

July program – Aleesha – scraps. Organizing scraps. Scrappy quilt patterns. How to store / how to use. If we have any show and tell of scrappy projects, send them to Aleesha. 

September will still be Peggy doing the MQG website refresh

October is Thea doing improv curves

November is all our board presenting on traditional to modern blocks.

December – end of year reflection. Something social. Perhaps a mug rug swap or cookie recipe exchange in a holiday card. 

Fabric postcards next year for spring fling tradition

Send poll to members to see if they want to do a barn quilt class on a saturday sometime next year. Michelle messaging Sheila Snyder for her prices to teach the class. Hans (Terry’s grandson) is also another resource for teaching the class.